Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find the answers to some of the most common questions we are asked. If you can't find the answer to your question the Kirklees Council website may be able to help you find your answer.

1. Why do I need to be a member before I can bid?

The scheme is only open to members. We need to take some details about you to find out what band you should be in, based on your housing need, and what size property you can apply for.

2. What if I have difficulty filling in the membership form?

We can provide help to fill in the form – come and visit us at one of our self-service areas, or call us on 01484 416900. We may be able to arrange a home visit if you have a disability or severe medical condition.

3. What are housing bands?

Housing bands are the way that we place customers into priority according to their level of housing need.
This means we can make sure we prioritise customers with more urgent housing need before customers who have low housing need. More detailed information around how we allocate bands to applications is in the Kirklees Council Housing Allocations Policy.

4. What if I am not happy with the band I am in?

If you are not happy with our assessment of your current situation or the band you have been given, you have the right to appeal. You must put your appeal in writing within 21 days.
We can give you help to do this. Your appeal will be looked at by a senior officer. If the decision can be changed, we will send you a new decision.
If the decision cannot be changed, we will write to tell you why.
Before putting in an appeal it might help to talk to us about the decision we have made so please contact the office dealing with your membership application.

5. What if my circumstances change?

You will need to log in to your account and update your application. You may also need to provide evidence of these changes such as proof of pregnancy, copies of any birth certificates or if there are any changes to your marital status or civil partnership. You may also be asked to provide GP/Consultant letters if you have completed the medical details on the application form.

If we ask you to provide any evidence you can email it to or post to Kirklees Council, Homes & Neighbourhoods, Po Box 1720, Huddersfield, HD1 9EL



6. Will I have to renew my membership?

YES - you will be invited to check and update your housing register application every 12 months.

You will need to do this regardless of whether there are any changes or not.

Failure to respond to the review will result in your application being cancelled

Should your application be cancelled and you still require housing you will need to reapply.

7. What is a bidding cycle?

This is the period of time that you can bid for a property when it is advertised. All available property will be advertised from Wednesday and you will have five days to make your bid before the bidding cycle closes on Sunday night at midnight.

8. How do I decide which property I am interested in?

You should only bid on properties that you would actually be interested in – so make sure you look at all the information on the advert before placing your bid. You might want to think about:

  • Is the property in the right location for you - do you need to be close to certain areas for schools, family or work?
  • Is it the right size for your household?
  • Can you afford the rent and any other charges?
  • Who will your landlord be?
  • Does it have any special facilities that you need?

9. Are all council properties advertised?

We advertise all our available properties so that you can see what happens to them. However, in exceptional circumstances we may have an empty home that we do not advertise.
For example, to re-house a customer in an emergency such as flood or fire. This is called a ‘Management Let’.

10. Why does it say I cannot bid on any properties?

Check that you are trying to bid during a cycle, ourproperties are only advertised in a bidding cycle, our cycle currently runs from Wednesday to Sunday, there are no properties advertised on Monday or Tuesday.

11. When I look at my bids, what does 'open' shortlist mean?

An open shortlist is when a bidding cycle has closed, but no offer has been made, this maybe because the property is not yet available or checks are being carried out pending an offer.
If you are going to be made an offer we will be in touch.

12. How will I know if I have been successful?

If you have been successful, we will usually contact you within a few days after the bidding cycle has closed. You should continue making bids for other properties you are interested in, in the following bidding cycle if you are not contacted. Before you are made an offer of a property, we will carry out certain checks.

13. What checks will be carried out?

Before any offer is made, checks will be carried out on your housing history, potential support requirements and if you have any housing debt to the council or history of anti-social behaviour.
This may affect your offer. We will write to you with more information if we decide not to offer you a property.

14. What happens if I am successful for more than one bid?

If you use your three bids and end up at the top of more than one shortlist then we will decide which of the properties to offer you.
We will expect that you will accept any of the properties you bid for. This is why it is important that you think before you bid.

15. How will I know if I'm going to be made an offer?

If you are the successful bidder, we will contact you and make you an offer of the property. You will be invited to come and view the property before making a decision.
You will have up to three days to respond to an offer, some of the viewings will be arranged at very short notice, so it is important that we have your up-to-date contact details.

16. What if I don't like the property once I've been to view it?

It depends on what band you are in as to what happens next: If you have been awarded band A or band B you will only receive one reasonable and suitable offer of accommodation. So if you are made an offer and are thinking of refusing it you should discuss this with us to find out if this will be your only offer in this band.
This is because we have a legal obligation to find you a property as quickly as possible. If you refuse an offer you may lose your band award and be moved to Band D.
If you are living in temporary accommodation you will have to leave it. 

All  customers who refuse three offers will have their membership cancelled and will be unable to re-apply for a period of six months.

17. I have accepted an offer of a property – what happens?

The Neighbourhood Team will arrange for you to visit your local Neighbourhood Office so you can sign up for the tenancy and find out all about becoming a tenant. Your choose ‘n’ move membership will be cancelled when you accept an offer and you will need to apply again if want to move in the future .

18. What will the property be like when I move in?

Unless it says otherwise on the advert, our properties are usually unfurnished and will need furnishing and decorating by you. This will usually include needing to put down carpets or other floor coverings and you can decorate to your own taste.

19. What will I need to bring to the viewing/sign up appointment?

You will need to bring at least one of the following photographic identification documents:

  • Student Union Card
  • Kirklees Passport
  • Passport – for all adults in household
  • Driving Licence – must be registered as same address as application form
  • Bus Pass

Other identification required for tenancy sign up and housing benefit/council tax benefit purposes includes(provide as many as possible):

  • Utility bill (no more than 3 months old and must be registered as same address as your application form)
  • Proof of your national insurance number
  • Bank statement (dated within the last 4 weeks) This must be a full statement not a mini bank statement
  • Full birth certificate for all persons in the household
  • Child benefit entitlement letter – in all cases, if you have children living with you
  • Marriage certificate
  • Medical card
  • P45 and/or P60
  • Tax letter
  • Wage/salary slip or statements (last 5 wage slips if you are paid weekly or last 2 if you are paid monthly or 4 weekly)
  • Private pension from last employment
  • Savings and bank account details
  • National savings certificates
  • Premium bonds
  • Letter regarding your benefit entitlement ie: state retirement pension, incapacity benefit, tax credits etc.

20. How do I pay my rent once my tenancy starts?

When you sign up for a tenancy you will be required to set up a direct debit to pay your rent so you will need to bring your bank details with you so we can set this up.
If you do not have a bank account Citizens Advice have some useful help and advice for you.


21. What is Universal Credit, and how does it affect me?

Universal Credit  is a new monthly payment for working age claimants and replaces certain benefits and tax credits.