Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a  monthly payment for working age claimants and replaces the following benefits and tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credit

When you claim Universal Credit, you will be paid one monthly lump sum in arrears.

When will Universal Credit affect me?

If you are aged between 18 and state pension credit age and need to make a new claim for any of the 6 benefits above then you will now need to claim Universal Credit instead. This applies to single people, couples and families. You can continue to claim housing benefit if you have 3 or more children, live in supported, exempt or temporary accommodation or are aged over state pension credit age. If you move house and already claim one or more of the benefits being replaced you will not be required to claim universal credit unless your income or other circumstances have changed, requiring you to make a new claim.

Between 2019 and 2022: Tenants already claiming one of the 6 benefits being replaced will be automatically transferred onto Universal Credit.

By the end of 2022: Universal Credit will be fully in place and the 6 benefits being replaced will have been phased out.

You will be responsible for paying rent:

Once you have claimed Universal Credit, your Housing Benefit will no longer be paid to Kirklees and your housing costs will be paid directly to you.

There are a number of things you need to consider when claiming Universal Credit.  You need to have the right bank account, have regular access to the internet and be able to manage a monthly budget

Make a claim for Universal Credit

If you think you are eligible you can find out more information and make a claim online by visiting the Government websiteUniversal Credit GOV.UK